This blog post will have to be a long one since it's been 2 weeks since the last one! Exciting things have happened since then: I successfully defended my prospectus and can now call myself ABD!!!!!! Also I have officially arrived in Madrid! Not without a few hiccups but I've worked most of them out AND I managed to do all of this without bursting into tears. Dare I say that I am handling stress better? GASP!
So here is the breakdown of what happened and further evidence that I may (I am only half serious when I say this!) be psychic:
For about a week now I have been having a recurring nightmare that my apartment didn't actually exist and that the company I had rented it from was really a huge scam! Everyone told me that I was crazy and just being dramatic because...well... I do have a bit of an "End Times" mentality when thinking about the worst case scenario.
My flight was smooth and uneventful. I decided against taking a Unisom for the fight and decided to take a wonderful nap once I arrived in Madrid in the wonderful apartment near the wonderful Palacio Royal across from the wonderful park that I was going to take wonderful pictures at. So I really only slept about 3 hours.
Bad choice.
When I got to Madrid, I called the rental company and found a taxi to get me to their offices. I walk upstairs and lo and behold... my apartment has been rented to someone else! Apparently, the woman that I had been in contact with (Eliana) had left her partner (Mike) and apparently they had parted on bad terms. Out of spite or some other very negative and mean motivation, she rented my apartment, that I had not only reserved 2 months in advanced but also paid a deposit for, to someone else and told Mike that it was "his problem now." Mike had a bunch of new listings ready for me to look at, but the only problem was that most of them could only be seen at 3 or 4 o'clock. This of course meant sitting in their office for about 4 hours, dead tired and getting more exhausted by the second. A wonderful woman named Soli (from Panama) showed me around and after seeing a few places I finally settled on the first one that I had seen. It's tiny, of course, and I had to rent it until the end of December (blech), and landlady seems like she might be an a-hole but it's clean, in a good area, close to the metro, and there is both a grocery store and starbucks very close by! Also I have internet!!!
By the time I got into the apartment it was nearly 9PM and I was about to drop! I've unpacked everything and now it's time to make this place feel like home. Maybe I'll even get in some exploring today :)
Ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment